Contributions to Science
Early Career: During my early career I worked with a team of graduate students who were investigating sympathetic ganglia and heart tissues in normal rats with regional sympathetic nerve destruction or rats with DOCA-salt hypertension. In one of our publications we were able to demonstrate in hypertensive rats that a protein producing superoxide is regulated in opposite directions in sympathetic neurons and sensory neurons. In another publication I helped describe the differential regional expression of norepinephrine transporter protein across heart chambers. I additionally conducted my own independent research studying cardiovascular responses in a hypertensive model of rats that overexpress endothelin B receptors selectively in their sympathetic nervous system.
- Cao X, Dai X, Parker LM, Kreulen DL. (2007) Differential Regulation of NADPH Oxidase in Sympathetic and Sensory Ganglia in Deoxycorticosterone Acetate Salt Hypertension. Hypertension. 50 (4), pp. 663-671
- Wehrwein EA, Parker LM, Wright AA, Spitsbergen JM, Quaiserova-Mocko V, Novotny M, Swain GM, Kreulen DL (2008). Cardiac Norepinephrine Transporter protein is regionally expressed across heart chambers and is inversely correlated to chamber norepinephrine content. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 295 (3), pp. R857-R863
- Parker LM, Wehrwein EA, Esfahanian M, Fink GD, and Kreulen DL. Norepinephrine transporter mRNA and protein are increased in left stellate from deoxycorticosterone-acetate (DOCA)-salt hypertensive rats. FASEB Journal 21 (6), A893-A893, May 2007
- Parker LM, Li M, Esfahanian M, Fink GD, Kreulen DL. Evaluation of the cardiovascular actions of sympathetic ganglion endothelin B receptors. FASEB Journal 22, April 2008
Graduate Career: I produced several first author publications during my graduate career on molecular mechanisms contributing to hypertension and hypoglycemia. My graduate research helped to identify specific neurochemical codes of brainstem and spinal cord neurons that regulate adrenal gland release of adrenaline and noradrenaline in response to lowering blood glucose drastically. I additionally studied the distribution of Gα protein mRNAs in the brainstem and adrenal glands of rats with neurogenic hypertension and found an increase in excitatory Gα subunit mRNA in these regions suggesting increased excitatory neuropeptide signaling in blood pressure regulating neurons.
- Kumar NN, Allen K, Parker LM, Damanhuri H, Goodchild AK (2010) Neuropeptide coding of sympathetic preganglionic neurons; focus on adrenally projecting populations. Neuroscience. 170(3), 789-99
- Parker LM, Tallapragada VJ, Kumar NN, Goodchild AK (2012) Distribution and localization of Gα proteins in the rostral ventrolateral medulla of normotensive and hypertensive rats: focus on catecholaminergic neurons. Neuroscience 218:20-34
- Parker LM, Kumar NK, Lonergan T, McMullen S, Goodchild AK. (2013) Distribution and neurochemical characterization of neurons in the rat ventrolateral medulla activated by glucoprivation. Brain Structure and Function. Jan;220(1):117-34. doi: 10.1007/s00429-013-0642-3
- Parker LM, Kumar NK, Lonergan T, Goodchild AK (2013) Neurochemical codes of sympathetic preganglionic neurons activated by glucoprivation. Journal of Comparative Neurology. 521(12):2703-18
- Parker LM and Goodchild AK. Distribution of G alpha subunit mRNA in rat adrenal cortex and adrenal medulla. FASEB Journal 24, April 2010
- Parker LM, Kumar NN, Lonergan T, Goodchild AK. Subpopulations of rat sympathetic preganglionic neurons which project to adrenal chromaffin cells are activated after glucoprivation. Autonomic Neuroscience 163 (1), 69-70, September 2011
Postdoctoral Career: In my post-doctoral career I have discovered that spinal cord neurons regulating blood glucose or blood pressure have district neurochemical codes. I have contributed to publications describing protein changes during neuronal differentiation and in ground state pluripotency. I have also trained graduate students and assisted them in analyzing molecular changes in the rat prefrontal cortex, nucleus accumbens and subthalamic nucleus following self-administered methamphetamines. My assistance with in situ hybridization (ISH) techniques also has resulted in a recent publication chosen for a cover image and a surprising discovery on the neurochemistry of respiratory neurons. I am currently working on developing new ISH techniques using nanodiamonds and europium lanthanide conjugates.
- Parker LM, Damanhuri H, Fletcher S, McMullen S, Goodchild AK. (2015) Hydralazine administration activates sympathetic preganglionic neurons whose activity mobilizes glucose and increases cardiovascular function. Brain Research. 1604:25-34
- Vakilian H, Mirzaei M, Tabar MS, Pooyan P, Rezaee LH, Parker LM, Haynes PA, Gourabi H, H Baharvand, and Salekdeh GH (2015) DDX3Y, a Male Specific Region of Y Chromosome Gene, may modulate neuronal differentiation. J. Proteome Res.14 (9), pp 3474–3483
- Le S, Turner AJ, Parker LM, Burke PG, Kumar NN, Goodchild AK, McMullan S. (2015) Somatostatin 2A Receptors are not expressed on functionally identified respiratory neurons in the ventral respiratory column of the rat. Journal of Comparative Neurology. Oct 16. doi: 10.1002/cne.23912
- Baracz SJ, Parker LM, Suraev AS, Everett NA, Goodchild AK, McGregor IS, Cornish JL. (2015) Chronic methamphetamine self-administration dysregulates oxytocin plasma levels and oxytocin receptor fibre density in the nucleus accumbens core and subthalamic nucleus of the rat. Journal of Neuroendocrinology Nov 13. doi: 10.1111/jne.12337
- Taleahmad S, Mirzaei M, Parker LM, Hassani SN, Mollamohammadi S, Sharifi-Zarchi A, Haynes PA, Baharvand H, Salekdeh G. (2015) Proteome Analysis of Ground State Pluripotency. Scientific Reports. Dec 16;5:17985. doi: 10.1038/srep17985
- Wearne TA, Parker LM, Franklin JL, Goodchild AK, Cornish JL. (2016) GABAergic mRNA expression is upregulated in the prefrontal cortex of rats sensitized to methamphetamine. Behavioral Brain Research. Jan 15;297:224-30. doi: 10.1016/j.bbr.2015.10.026
- Jacobsen JHW, Parker LM, Staikopoulos V, Schartner E, Tsiminis G, Hutchinson MR, Mustafa S. Novel imaging tools for investigating the role of immune signaling in the brain. Brain Behavior and Immunity (In Press)
Please see each link for full details of all publications and presentations.